CBM PSYCHOLOGICAL & COUNSELLING SERVICES
A psycho-educational or psychological assessment is an individualized assessment geared to having a fuller understanding of an individual’s development or functioning in various areas (e.g., educational, social-emotional, behavioural, vocational). An assessment among other things:
- Assesses a wide range of skills including, thinking & reasoning (intellectual), language, memory and learning, attention, planning and organization, fine motor, academic and social-emotional.
- Highlights an individual's areas of strengths and weaknesses.
- Evaluates academic functioning (reading, writing, spelling, math).
- Provides useful information on how an individual is functioning academically compared to his/her potential.
- Identifies areas for academic support based on profile of strengths or weaknesses (e.g. enrichment programs, remedial programs, special education).
- Provides recommendations for behavioural intervention.
- Assists in identifying factors that may be impacting an individual's learning and general functioning (e.g., social and/or emotional problems).
- May lead to a diagnosis that helps facilitate academic accommodations at the elementary, secondary, college or university level as well as academic funding or access to community resources and services.